Guru Poornima

 Guru Poornima is the annual celebration whereby all spiritual aspirants are able to connect to The Great Masters, past and present, male and female.

my son and I, back in the day, so long ago......

I remember my first Guru Poornima celebration very well. It was decades ago. I had been intitated into Sannyasa as Swami Ratnamurti Saraswati, and was living that life 24/7. I had been through what I can only describe as a tragedy, and on reflection, this new life helped me cope.

At this first and subsequent ceremonies, I was chosen to help channel the Guru energy for our humble event. Which was somewhat ironic as years later I found that I could channel The Great Ones of the past, at any time. 

Guru Poornima is very precious to serious Yoga practitioners, as it also is a time to rededicate oneself to The Spirit. One's own spirit, and the spirit within everything. 

 Interestingly, it also falls about the time of Matariki, (see below). Matariki has a deeply spiritual aspect, and is also the start of the Maori new year. 

Many people think that yoga and Maori spirituality are the same. I do not feel that this is so. For example, at Guru Poornima we might be celebrating with many others, but it is also very much about one's own spiritual journey. And honouring one's own guru. Whereas the Maori culture - it is about everyone's growth. 

Nevertheless, both aspects are important. The inner and the sharing.

These days I do not "have a guru". But I still am grateful for all that I received from the yoga spiritual journey. (note the emphasis - there is much that I am not grateful for, with good reason). And I bow in humbleness and gratitude to The Great ones, male and female, who have gone before us.

There have been many great cultures and teachings over the aeons. The Inner and Cosmic truths have always been there. Guru Poornima is a wonderful time to tap into the energy and consciousness of this.

** link here to my lifestyle blog, for a post about Matariki

** link here about an guru from the British Isles, from centuries ago 


Comments

  1. Yes, you definitely have the energy of a guru. It really comes through in your beautiful writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so kind, Stephenie. I'm actually just a humble spiritual aspirant.....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You can leave comments here - comments are moderated for the time being.