Different styles of yoga

nowadays, there are so many differing styles of yoga -

evolvement, I suppose


A friend was asking me about the different styles of yoga, recently. I do believe, after decades of practising, and teaching yoga, that:
  • any yoga is good
  • but not all styles are beneficial to everyone
  • and that not everyone is suited to yoga
I am so over thinking that everyone should/could/whatever, do yoga. 

But, it does make most people feel really good, and it's not just about the stretching.  To me, hard stretching and holding a pose for quite a while, these are stressful. I am impatient by nature, and now - I just accept this. So you could say that other styles (rather than extreme stretch, and/or holding poses for a long time) would be more suited for me.


And so it is with everyone. We all have our quirks, and with all of the differing styles, there are now so many diferent styles to suit each personality.

So many people want to "do" yoga, and just get frustrated trying to find the best teacher for them. It honestly is trial and error. 

  • Hatha Yoga. This is the style which suits most people. Just doing the poses, one at a time. Sometimes held for a while, sometimes held only for a short period of time. I like this style too, and was the first that I learnt, and which I usually do for myself. Because it's so do-able. And has been handed down through time. Not a hybrid form of yoga.
  • Moving poses, or, poses connected to each other. When you do move from one pose to the other, it is done by moving with the breath. These are not really for beginners unless you are quite fit. I like the following types of moving yoga, too, and to me, they are all modern "evolved" forms: 
    • a) flow yoga: a softer, usually slower style. Can be quite meditative. Especially if a meditative breath is used throughout.
    • b) power yoga: hard and strong. Still moving with the breath but faster, gives really good endorphins.
    • c) vinyasa: many poses are joined by what is known a "vinyasa": plank, chaturanga (like a half plank), upward dog or cobra, downward dog. Very popular. 
  • Iyengar: strong poses held for quite a while, often using props like blocks, belts and cushions so that people can hold the pose in correct alignment. Very popular, especially if you are quite particular about doing things "properly". Emphasis on everything being done with precision. A gym fiend told me that (for him) the after effects were the same as having done a heavy weights class. 
  • Yin: relaxing, restorative. Holding poses for quite a while, relaxing into them, sometimes with props. However, this is soft yoga and differs greatly from Iyengar and Hatha. 
 There are other styles, too. Of course. But really, I'm looking at the traditional Hatha, and the newer, "evolved" forms. 

I am a traditionalist. However, life evolves. And I really do like the new moving styles, as well. All of the above "new" forms, been around for a while now, so are accepted as "yoga". They make a person feel good, and this I do believe, is one of the main secrets of yoga. We feel great during and after, we come close to our essence, we relax deep within. Aside from any other physiological benefits. In these times of rush, rush, rush, yoga causes us to stop, calm down, restore.

All of these benefits are great gifts indeed. 

If you would like to do poses and are a beginner, older, not so fit, I recommend Barbara Currie on youtube. Hatha yoga, barely holding the poses, fast results. Babs is nearly seventy eight in this video. There are others by her when she was younger. Mandy Ingber is good for stronger Hatha. 

Youtube of course has a gazillion flow, power, and vinyasa yoga sequences. A twenty minute one is doable. A really lovely, and hard, short sequence is dancing warrior by Siva Rea. There are many others by so many teachers. 

I teach according to whom I'm teaching. That's another benefit of yoga: it's adaptable. My personal speciality is kundalini yoga, and not the Yogi Bhajan type. 








Comments

  1. I love Hatha and Kundalini Yoga, too. (although I do the Yogi Bhajan type.) I like doing a personal practice that is relaxing and soothing. Some of the classes where I live became too demanding and stressful for my taste. I prefer to take it gently and intuitively...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that you summed up how I feel about too many classes: stressful and demanding. I've even had fellow yoga teachers taking hatha classes like that.

      Delete
  2. I didn't know that there were different forms of yoga for such a long time and that lack of knowledge inhibited me from even trying it. Then I found Yoga with Kassandra and her 10-15 minute morning stretch routine was perfect for my novice level and out of shape state. This is such a great post. I am going to read more about it all. Thanks for linking up, my friend.

    Shelbee
    www.shelbeeontheedge.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad that you found someone with whom you resonate. I often will post a small routine or a pose, or breathing stuff that is 100% doable. I am so over this gymnastic stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You can leave comments here - comments are moderated for the time being.