down dog pose

what was once just a pose (asana),
seems to have become so important in modern yoga. It's now often held for longer periods, as a resting pose


photo by Patrick Mallerat on Unsplash.com
Sumeru asana (mountain); downward facing dog; whatever

One of my children (early thirties) came back from a yoga class at the gym, eyes flashing, and declaring firmly: "I hate down dog". This is from someone who loves to exercise, does crossfit, uses long yoga flow classes as her easy workout. So funny. Especially as her parents are/were long time yoga teachers. 

but it does have it's uses

Not my favourite pose, either. It never was. But with students who are more comfortable with harder poses, I do tend to use it quite a bit: 
  • instead of cat lift and cat tuck, I do cat lift and downdog, several times
  • instead of child pose between all fours poses

using down dog in flows
  • a nice series is child > cat lift > down dog > cat lift > child. Those who want it simpler can do cat tuck instead of down dog. Two versions are below




  • to make it easier with down dog, it can be used with flowing moves where you don't hold any pose. In the tiger flow below, cat tuck can be used instead of down dog. Do one side, then do the flow again, using the other side



benefits

I personally do not feel that down dog has the same overall benefits as other four footed poses. 
Where it is beneficial is:
  • builds strength
  • tones muscles
  • acts as an inversion, and this in itself is also very beneficial, and helps us with brain health

posture tips

Originally I learnt it with feet together. And an old version is with feet and hands wide apart. Now it is PC (politically correct) to have feet hip width apart. 

It's recommended to have the middle fingers pointing forward. I also offer half way between index and middle fingers as the forward angle. The reason for two choices is simple and has to do with the shoulders, as some people quite naturally have an inward shoulder curve. So one method does not fit all. 

To lift shoulders away from the head in the pose, quickly push your hands down and forwards firmly on your mat. As though you are pushing away from the floor. Hands should not move. This also extends the back long, and has the effect of the buttocks "lifting up". Slightly rotate the elbow inwards to make it easier on your arms.

It's okay to bend the knees and come up onto toes/balls of feet.   
   
I personally would never classify down dog as a Major Pose, a must in any class. Someone who does Ashtanga, power, or flow classes, would definitely say it was one of the most important poses. 

Each to his own. 

when not to do this pose

eye problems
high blood pressure
shoulder, elbow or wrist issues 

(p.s. apologies for my amateur drawings; I've always done them)

*** link here to my life style blog




Comments

  1. Yoga has changed so much in the past thirty years. I originally learned it with the feet together, too. I do dd in my home practice, but just once. I kind of agree with your daughter. Yoga doesn't work for me the way it's taught in those power and Ashtanga classes. It's a nice pose, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a breath of fresh air to hear you say that. I like the way that you practice yoga, Stephenie. Power, ashtanga, etc seem to have become the new norm. So many people who would love to practice yoga but find these styles either too hard, or too stressful. I know many do love them, and that's fine too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing all of your yoga knowledge with us, Ratnamurti. I need to get back to it myself!

    Shelbee
    www.shelbeeontheedge.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's a great way to use that pose. i nearly always put it in a class when I'm teaching

    ReplyDelete
  5. chuckle. They are very amateurish but hopefully they get the message across.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have had a bit of a problem finding your blog - are you able to post it here???

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You can leave comments here - comments are moderated for the time being.