Very simple tips for Recuperating

photo by Mikhail Nilov @ pexels

Onwards and upwards. Returning to Life after covid. 

Recouperating. Restoring. Being even more cautious.

The new normal.

So I've been a-looking at what I can do to restore myself. Mostly on a health level (little joke here). I've put a fair bit of (exasperated) thought into it. Trying to be realistic. I always, and I do mean always, go overboard with unrealistic schemes and dreams that I either can't maintain, or they don't fit into my life. 

But yoga has been a big part of my life, for most of it, actually. It suits me. I seldom ever was able to do advanced poses, even when I was younger. However, I do know what is best for me. The years have gone by, and the mild niggles of our youth, become very real aches and pains that we need to take care of. So I put time into dealing with this. And those same aches and pains, at present, make early morning physical yoga, a bit tricky for me. So I did some mental adulting, and decided to move my morning routine, postures and such, to mid-morning. Which does, unfortunately, mean that it won't be everyday. But - c'est la vie. It will still happen most days. And if it doesn't work out, I'll just keep trying things, until it does.

My favourite first-thing-in-the-morning routine:

** quick meditation  

** 3 rounds of rapid nostril breathing (bhastrika), in and out equal, pumping the abdomen. 6 right, 6 left, 6 both nostrils. This is one round. I only do 3 rounds. Now, I know that this is the opposite order to what is done by most people, however, this is for physical health. Not calmness and so forth. It also keeps the nostrils and sinuses clear. 

** 20 kapalabhatis, standing, sort of walking on the spot, and moving my arms briskly. 100 is the recommended amount. Just do whatever you can easily do when you're recuperating. Emphasis is on the sharp exhale pulling abs in with each exhale, passive inhale, going quite fast. Like rapid sneezes. 

Honestly, this wee breathing routine is so do-able, and so quick. Why do it? Covid does give us brainfog. And it also affects the frontal lobes in this way. This is our area of being able to discern, be one-pointed, think coherently. And that brainfog goes with an incredible exhaustion. Both of these do linger. Any symptoms which stay with us are long covid. (yes, I know. Bummer)

Kapalabhati was the first cleansing pranayama (breathing practice) that I ever learnt. In a form which was amazing, but sadly, no longer taught. Kapalabhati means "shining skull", and affects our whole head. You can even sit in a chair, lift up one heel at a time, one lift for one little sneeze, whilst you do an arm pump. Do 10-20 at a time, throughout the day, to help with mental clarity.

These two pranayamas, because they pump the abdomen, they do beneficially affect our life force storehouse (prana, Mauri) which is in this area. 

What else can we do, breathing wise?

Remember, air carries life force, which we inhale into our system. In many ways, life force "feeds" our body. Here is a simple thing to do throughout the day, and it reduces acidity. I find that my body is quite acidic when I'm unwell.

** Deep inhale through nose. Then curl your lips back so that around your mouth is hard (like a birds beak), and exhale vigourously. It will sound like "shoo". pull in your abdomen as you do so. Next time, try dropping your head onto your chest on the exhale, very relaxed. lift up your head for a deep inhale. 

What else for breathing techniques?

** In bed, close your eyes, lower your gaze,as though you're looking straight down. With each exhale, completely relax your breath and body, pulling in your abdominals as you do so. Deep, slow breath in. Have a very brief pause after each inhale and each exhale. 

Do a few of these, then just allow your breath to flow by itself, no effort required. If possible, keep relaxing your body on each exhale. 

Allow your thoughts to come and go, maintain very relaxed awareness on your breath, so that you don't get caught up in your thoughts. This will set up deeper breathing during the night, and calm you too.  

A beautiful meditation to lift us up on all levels

The chakra meditation which I did on Earth Elders, facebook, will also bump up your life force, on an overall level. As well as making you feel very happy and peaceful with more mental clarity. You can do this anytime, preferably not evening, as it will keep you awake all night. So this is for general prana. And feeling just wonderful.

Link to chakra meditation and my talks and other meditations on Earth Elders: hereClick "join" if you haven't already, then click the search icon, and enter "Ratnamurti Saraswati". 

Link to Global Unity Festivals on you tube, here. I'm in the Wave 1, Asia/Pacific episodes.

My lifestyle blog is here

You can also find me on facebook: here and here

If you have any comments, or queries, please let me know.









Comments

  1. Hope you are feeling better. The brain fog from Covid is intense!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that. I was beginning to wonder if it was just me.

      Delete
  2. And while it may seem obvious, low stress and lots of rest. Polymyalgia rheumatica has had me in its grip, and I have been making a point of listening to my body.

    Michelle
    https://mybijoulifeonline.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wise counsel, Michelle. I sincerely hope that some ways and means of treating/dealing with, the polymyalgia rheumatica, come to light. Soon.

      Delete

Post a Comment

You can leave comments here - comments are moderated for the time being.